Sundays are never exciting. There is always a long never ending list of chores, running errands, a sad and a let down feeling of getting back to work on Monday, two days off are never just enough. But, the silver lining is, it is still weekend and you have got twenty freaking four hours to end your weekend by being more productive and start the coming week in style. Ever since I started meal prepping, I realized Sundays aren’t dreadful. It buys me enough time to make healthy choices and prepare my lunches in advance, removing stress from weekly grind helping me focus more on my job and workouts.
My meal prep often includes one chicken entree, and this week I wanted to try Methi (Fenugreek) Chicken Curry. Ah !! I cannot rave enough about how delicious this one pot recipe with protein and veggies is.
Fenugreek leaves are used as herbs, spices and vegetables in dishes from South Asia not only offering numerous health benefits but also adding a very strong and distinct taste. It is also considered to be an excellent source of Calcium.
This curry is very simple and easy to make by simply marinating the chicken for 15 mins and cooking it with different ingredients in one pot. You can pair this with a side of rice or breads, and this will make a perfect and healthy lunch/dinner meal.
- Boneless chicken thigh, 800 gms, cubed into small pieces
- Methi Leaves, 50gms
- Onion, 200gm
- Non fat Greek yoghurt, 50gms
- Garlic, 3 cloves
- Ginger, 1 inch
- Extra virgin olive oil, 1 tbsp
- Desi ghee, 1.5 tbsp
- Turmeric, 1tbsp
- Garam Masala, 1 tbsp
- Cumin powder, 1 tbsp
- Red chilli powder, 1tbsp
- Bay Leaves, 2
- Cloves, 5
- Cardamom, 2
- Black pepper, 1 tsp
- Salt, as per taste
- Add greek yoghurt, bay leaves, cloves, cardamom, black pepper, turmeric and red chilli powder to the cubed chicken. Leave it to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Wash Methi leaves thoroughly under running water.Now, pluck the leaves from branches, add salt, squeeze and drain extra water. This will remove the bitterness.
- Blend onion, ginger and garlic together in a paste
- Now heat oil in a pan and add the paste. Sauté it till it gets red brown.
- Add Methi leaves to this and stir fry for about 2-3 minutes.
- Now add marinated chicken to the pan and add some salt. Cover the pan with a lid and let it cook on slow flames till the chicken is tender.
PS : I usually love all my dishes very spicy, so please adjust the level of spices to your taste. In case you can’t find fresh fenugreek leaves, you can also try this recipe by using Kasuri Methi (dried fenugreek leaves).
PPS : Some people are allergic to fenugreek, and people who have peanut allergy and chickpea allergy may have a reaction to fenugreek.
Hope you all like this one pot healthy recipe rich in protein.